L. A. History 1883 - 1911
Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Los Angeles High's Home from 1891 to 1917
"The Red Schoolhouse on the Hill"
Length of high school course was changed from three to four years. Three courses were included: English, Latin, and Classical. That year the Superintendent reported that "the course of study is one of the most complete and liberal to be found in the State."
The high school accredited to University of California.
Enrollment was 200 pupils.
School finally had a permanent home of its own---on Fort Hill (North Hill Street) ---the "red schoolhouse on the hill." It cost $70,000 and was regarded as one of the finest high school buildings in the state. Enrollment: about 400.
Two graduating classes a year.
Mr. William Harvey Housh, head of the Science Department, became principal.
A young man by the name of Ernest Warner Oliver graduated from The High School.
1898 & 1907
L.A.'s football teams beat all the college teams in the County. (There weren't many high schools to play, so we played Oxy, Pomona, U.S.C., etc.)
1400 students enrolled and an additional 200 waiting to enter as the census reported a population of 101,000 for Los Angeles!
The beginning of one of the first student government organizations in the U.S. with the establishment of the Senior Boards of Control.
Polytechnic, Manual Arts, L.A.C.C. all stemmed out from L.A.
Dr. James Gilbert and his zoology students unearthed extraordinary deposits of the Pleistocene Age at the La Brea Pits, where a plaque now honors this L.A.High work.
"Hail! Hail! to L.A. High," written by Byron MacFadyen to the tune of the old Russian National Anthem, was adopted as L.A.'s "Alma Mater."
(1873 - 1882)
(1883 - 1911)
(1912 - 1945)
(1947 - 1951)
(1951 To ?)
Text, graphics, and HTML code on this website may not be copied or distributed
by any means without explicit written permission.(KISSD)
Copyright ©, all rights reserved.